Sunday 16 August 2009

Day 1 (Sort of...) - 16 August 2009

6 weeks until my first ever race - 10km for Cancer Research UK - 27 September 2009. First step on the way to my goal of the 2011 London Marathon.

I did consider 2010, but I figured I want to do it in a time which I wouldn't embarrass myself at - so under 4 hours - and at a fitness level which wouldn't require me to be carried home. So 2011 it is. I will be signing up for lots of other runs between now and then - 5km, 10km, half marathons. As well as my normal training and practice in between. Expect regular updates, mood swings, rants and so on.

I signed up back in April and the time is going by way too fast. On the bright side, I have managed to steadily improve my fitness levels over the last few months.

Back in January I could not run at all - on the treadmill in the gym, I considered brisk walking to be an achievement - and worked up quite a sweat!

By April I had managed to get together a bit of momentum and stamina and I signed up for this 10km. I decided to go out for a training run that weekend. I did manage to complete about 10km - took me about 90 minutes and I thought I had done well - until I got up the following morning and felt like someone had taken a hacksaw to my legs...

Anyways I think I have passed that stage - I managed to improve my times alot - second time I went out I got to 1hr 10min, then down to 1hr 6min and recently 1hr 3min!

I am getting closer and closer to that magical 1 hour mark - within touching distance - but there is still plenty of work to be done to get to that comfortably by the time race day rolls around.

Over the next few weeks I will be trying to get in 3 more 10km runs, a few interval runs and a few free sprints. Time to get a grip on the diet (woohoo!) and try to build some muscle as well.

To infinity and beyond..... well to 10km anyways.

0 comments:

Post a Comment