Tuesday 18 August 2009

Tabatas.....

If like me previously, you have not heard of tabata training before it is basically in a nutshell:

Total 4 minute workout - that's right, 4 minutes!
In those 4 minutes you have 8 'sets' of 30 seconds each, consisting of 20 seconds of your absolute maximum effort followed by 10 seconds of rest.

The mistake I made (and you may make while reading the above) is that it sounds pretty easy.

The key word there is 'sounds'. And I say that because when I actually got around to trying it today after about 3 'sets' I realised the complete inadequacy of both my mental and physical preparation for trying this out. I am sure someone watching me would have thought I was having an asthma attack at this point while I puffed and heaved my way through another 5 sets of absolute agony.

I also realised that this method of training can have an adverse effect on one's ability to control their own legs (and their ability to stand) - I just wish I had worked that out before I got off the machine and found myself in a heap on the floor.

On the plus side, my lungs have felt cleared out all day - its a pretty cool feeling, a bit of a burning sensation if you will. Not really sure how else to describe it, but you'll probably know what I'm talking about if you have felt it before.

My heart rate was definitely higher for a good few hours afterwards as well - which I think means I was doing it right.

I gather the purpose of tabata is to improve your aerobic and anaerobic capacity at the same time - and quickly. And I can definitely see how it works.

Hopefully next time I will be a bit better prepared so I don't end up needing to pick myself up off the floor afterwards.

Til next time...

0 comments:

Post a Comment