Saturday 23 January 2010

The diet of champions....or something...?

There is so much information out there on diet and nutrition it is easy to get just plain confused. I know I went through it and I bet there are alot of people out there in the same position. And it sucks. 

I have had plenty of moments banging my head against the wall trying to work what I should and shouldn't eat, when I should and shouldn't eat, what I should and shouldn't eat with what, how much I should and shouldn't eat....and so on and so forth....the sort of stuff insanity is made up of.

Anyways, long story short - I think the most important thing is deciding what works for you and what works with your goals. Distance running, weight loss and building muscle are 3 completely incompatible goals or so I've been told. 

In short, I think you rely on carbs (and atleast maintenance level calories) for the energy for running. You rely on protein (and excess calories) for muscle building. You rely on a blend of carbs and protein (and a calorie deficit) for weight loss. Like I said, three seemingly incompatible goals. 

At the minute I am trying to mix it up and experiment a bit so I am sort of hitting all 3. My improving runs, heavier weights at the gym, lower weight and smaller waist suggest things are going in the right direction. I am becoming the lean mean running machine I always wanted to be. Woohoo indeed!

I think I am getting that balance of carbs, protein and (good) fats right, and I think it shows - I have been feeling alot beter for it too. So what is a typical day in this diet of champions? (Ok ok getting a bit ahead of myself, I know!)

Let's take yesterday as my typical weights training day.

0600 - Half a banana and my own trademark cereal/protein bar. I make these up with peanut butter, porridge oats and some protein powder. (Recipe and where to get the protein from at another time).

0630 - 0730 - Gymming it, lifting reasonable weights (free weights, not machines!), full body workout, 3 sets of 8 reps on each exercise.

0731 - Protein shake. Yes, 0731. Literally as soon as my workout finishes, I down a protein shake. Same protein powder as used in my cereal bar, but made up with water. Its something of an acquired taste not using milk!

0745 - Breakfast. Scrambled eggs made up of 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites with a few mixed spices. That plus a wholemeal tortilla wrap or something along those lines.

1000 - Usually some mixed fruit and another one of my cereal bars.

1230 - Lunch. An absolute load of spinach leaves go in first. Lots of healthy vitamins and so on in there. Some wholemeal carbs - cous cous, quinoa, or a toasted tortilla wrap or pitta bread broken up. Some houmous. And some meat or other source of protein.

1600 - Another snack. Usually a handful of almonds, if I'm hungry a bit more.

1900 - Dinner. Lots of grilled and roast fresh vegetables and some lean meat.

2100 - Another protein shake - this one made with milk. 


That's fuelling myself 8 times a day and I don't really feel hungry any more. I love it. I don't binge, I don't get tempted, I eat lots of natural good foods and I notice a real difference in how I feel. 

I am actually only 3 pounds lighter now than I was  before Christmas, but I have lost a good couple of inches off my waist -  the jeans I bought myself in the Christmas sales are already loose - much to my wallet's annoyance.

Oh I did forgot one of the most important thing, and possibly the simplest thing.... WATER. I think I have 3.5-4 litres a day.

You are what you eat....Eat healthy, be healthy :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment